What this is all about...

I was born on February 6, 1970. That means on February 6, 2010 I turned 40! I borrowed a great idea from a friend of mine who had recently turned 50. She committed to learning 50 new things and/or having 50 new experiences in her 50th year. I thought that was such a cool idea that I have plagiarized her idea. I'm hoping to have 40 new experiences in the next year. That means I need your help! If you have some skill/talent/hobby that you could share with me, please do!!! I can't do this alone. This blog will keep you all posted on my 40 "adventures." I hope you enjoy it.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

#4 - Glass fusing class


Two years ago in April I was scheduled to take a glass fusing class with several friends. The day of the class we received a whopper of a blizzard, so the class was cancelled.  Believe it or not, I've allowed this much time to pass without managing to find the time to reschedule.  Again, I ask myself why we allow ourselves to do this? One of the best aspects of this 40 new experiences challenge is that I'm finding time to do things that I've just brushed off on the past.

So, today two of my good friends and I spent several hours learning different techniques for fusing glass cabochons.  What is a cabochon, you ask?  Well, I asked exactly the same question when I first saw that word. Technically a cabochon is " a highly polished, convex-cut, unfaceted gem."  More casually, a cabochon is a really cool looking chunk of glass. The finished project can be mounted as a necklace charm, earrings, a pin or turned into a magnet. 

The class was held at Full Spectrum Art Glass Supply and Gallery, http://fsartglass.com/index.htm . They teach all kinds of glass classes: stained glass, glass bowls, jewelry, etc.  I've encountered several people over the past few years wearing stunning jewelry that they made there. Much of the glasswork involves dichroic glass. You have likely seen dichroic glass without having any idea of the name. It is a type of glass that contains various metals, metal oxides and silica. The result is a variety of iridescent patterns in a wide array of colors. 

The process is pretty simple.  Students start with flat, rectangular pieces of base glass. Designs are added by selecting various pieces of glass to overlay. Creating the finished piece involves some glass cutting, arranging the cut pieces into a desired pattern and glueing them into place. The pieces must be fired in a kiln. There are different types of finishes.  We made about 8 pieces each, practicing several different techniques.  Only two pieces were fired today, so I only saw a sampling of my finished work. I can pick up the remaining pieces later this week.  Below are my first two pieces (which they accidentally over-fired--there should have been some texture to the overlaid pieces). I'm really excited to see my other pieces. I'll post pics of them when I pick them up.



I really enjoyed myself. I've always had a passion for artsy/crafty hobbies. I think I will likely take some additional classes.  I would love to try some stained glass courses. I've always had a real soft spot for stained glass. When I toured Germany in 1991, I was overwhelmed by the artistry of all the stained glass in the cathederals.  It is truly a lost art.

 In addition to being a creative outlet, today's class was a great opportunity to visit with friends with whom I rarely get to spend time. Reuniting with friends has definitely been another big benefit of my 40 new experiences.  I have lots of activities planned with different friends throughout the year, and I so look forward to reconnnecting with each one!

4 down, 36 to go. I'm right on track to finish all 40 in a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment