What this is all about...

I was born on February 6, 1970. That means on February 6, 2010 I turned 40! I borrowed a great idea from a friend of mine who had recently turned 50. She committed to learning 50 new things and/or having 50 new experiences in her 50th year. I thought that was such a cool idea that I have plagiarized her idea. I'm hoping to have 40 new experiences in the next year. That means I need your help! If you have some skill/talent/hobby that you could share with me, please do!!! I can't do this alone. This blog will keep you all posted on my 40 "adventures." I hope you enjoy it.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

#3 Delayed - compliments of Mother Nature

I had hoped to visit Paint Mines Regional Park near Peyton, CO this weekend, but the snow keeps falling, so that visit will have to be put on hold for a while.  Despite living in Colorado for almost 14 years, I had never heard of the Paint Mines until a friend suggested visting them as one of my 40 new experiences. 

It has been wonderful to hear all the great ideas that have rolled in regarding my 40 new experiences. THANK YOU to everyone who has offered to help me achieve my goal. This year is going to be such fun!  I keep pondering whether or not I should list some of the ideas I've received, but I decided it would be more fun to reveal them only as I experience them.   

Just setting this goal has really changed my attitute.  There have been some small, insignificant "new experiences" that I've had simply because I find myself saying, "So exactly WHY haven't I done that before?"  Sounds silly, but there's a flight of stairs in our high school that leads down to small lower level which is basically a wrestling room and not much more. I always intended to "one day" go check it out.  How hard is it to walk down a flight of stairs, yet I just never got around to it.  So, this week I took a minute or two  to check out this corner of our school that I've never seen before. Not a big deal, I know, but I've just become so much more aware of how many things we intend to do some day, but we just never make the effort. There are a significant number of items on my "40 new things" list that fall into the "I've always wanted to do that" category.  I do believe this is the year I'll finally do those things.

Why is it human nature to not get around to things we've always wanted to do?  Our family recently watched the movie "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs." It was a cute movie targeted mainly for children.  At one point the main character says, "I've got a lot of Diem to Carpe." I LOVE that!  I've decied that should be the slogan for my year of new adventures. We all have a lot of Diem to Carpe.  So, get off your butt and go Carpe your Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment