What this is all about...

I was born on February 6, 1970. That means on February 6, 2010 I turned 40! I borrowed a great idea from a friend of mine who had recently turned 50. She committed to learning 50 new things and/or having 50 new experiences in her 50th year. I thought that was such a cool idea that I have plagiarized her idea. I'm hoping to have 40 new experiences in the next year. That means I need your help! If you have some skill/talent/hobby that you could share with me, please do!!! I can't do this alone. This blog will keep you all posted on my 40 "adventures." I hope you enjoy it.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

#16 - Maroon Bells

When I first decided to undertake my 40 new adventures, one of the very first items on my list was a visit to Maroon Bells near Aspen, Colorado. For those of you saying, "Maroon What?" Maroon Bells (pictured above--yep, I actually took this photo today; it is not pulled off the web!) are the most photographed mountains in North America. I'm sure you've seen them before on a calendar.

This definitely falls into the "I've always wanted to" category, and I have no excuse whatsoever for putting it off for so long.  We actually attempted to visit Maroon Bells two weeks ago. We camped at Buena Vista on Friday night, planned to drive to Maroon Bells Saturday morning and return to Buena Vista to visit Victoria Saturday afternoon. She was working for the month of June at Young Life's Trail West camp in Buena Vista, and Saturday afternoons are the volunteers' only free time. Well, just like Mother Nature delayed Adventue #3, she delayed #16. That weekend it rained and rained and rained. When we awoke Saturday morning in the campground and couldn't even see the mountains across the street, we decided it probably wasn't worth the trip to Maroon Bells. And good thing---Maroon Bells received 6 inches of snow that weekend!

Since Victoria wrapped up camp this weekend and we had to "fetch" her early this morning, we decided to give it another shot.  The weather was MUCH better today.  The trip to Maroon Bells actually included several items which could have been listed as new adventures, but I'm only counting Maroon Bells. The other new adventures included driving Independence Pass which is Colorado's highest mountain pass. Where the Continental Divide (for you easterners, that's the highest point for every single latitude on the continent---much of it falls in Colorado) crosses the road, the altitude is 12,095 feet. The road is curvy and narrow, and the views are stunning!  Check out this view just short of the top of the pass (and notice how short I am getting--or maybe my kids are getting tall!)



After crossing Independence Pass, the next new adventure was a visit to Aspen.  I was really looking forward to this. Knowing that is is "the playground of the rich," and knowing how absolutely beautiful other areas of Colorado are, I was certain Aspen must really be something special. To be honest, I was sorely disappointed.  The town itself is nice (with lots of wonderful, old Victorian houses and mature trees), but the setting is just nothing to write home about.  For you locals who have never been there, imagine driving down Highway 24 near Manitou Springs - that's basically Aspen.  I just don't get the appeal. Sure, it is pretty, but there are so many places in Colorado that are much more beautiful:  Salida, Frisco/Dillon, Buena Vista, Ouray, Durango, etc.  I doubt I'll go out of my way again to visit Aspen.

Maroon Bells is about 10 miles northwest of Aspen Highlands ski area.  During the summer visitors must take a bus into the Maroon Bells area. This policy was started in1977. Prior to that time there was simply too much vehicle traffic into the area.  The bus system works quite well, and the driver "narrates" the entire drive, providing us eager tourists with interesting tidbits of information. He pointed out avalanche damage, talked about various wildflowers and wildlife and explained some geographic formations. It was an interesting ride.  I was actually giddy when I caught my first glimpse of Maroon Bells from the bus (named Maroon for their color--I didn't see it--and Bells for their shape--OK, I could go with that one). 

Unlike Aspen, Maroon Bells did not disappoint.  I can't decide which word(s) to use: stunning, magnificent, impossibly beautiful, majestic--none really seem to sum up the experience of being there in front of these amazing mountains.   I could literally have just sat there all day and stared at them . They are so incredibly beautiful.  We hiked around for a bit. There were waterfalls, wildflowers, other beautiful mountains that don't get their due credit and amazing views no matter what direction you faced. Here are just a few of the many pictures I took.



I decided I want to build a house right there by Maroon Lake.  I was all ready to pull the necessary permits until Craig pointed out that it would be one heck of a drive to the nearest grocery store, which would be mighty inconvenient every time I need a gallon of milk or a dozen eggs. Darn.  Oh well, I guess we'll have to stay put in Colorado Springs for now. 

Maybe the best part of the visit is that we got an awesome family picture for this year's Christmas cards! (OK, that wasn't the best part, but it WAS nice!).  I contemplated giving you all a sneak peak, but I decided you all will just have to wait 'til December.

Today's trip was more than I had hoped it would be.  It made me REALLY happy that I had turned 40!

1 comment: