What this is all about...

I was born on February 6, 1970. That means on February 6, 2010 I turned 40! I borrowed a great idea from a friend of mine who had recently turned 50. She committed to learning 50 new things and/or having 50 new experiences in her 50th year. I thought that was such a cool idea that I have plagiarized her idea. I'm hoping to have 40 new experiences in the next year. That means I need your help! If you have some skill/talent/hobby that you could share with me, please do!!! I can't do this alone. This blog will keep you all posted on my 40 "adventures." I hope you enjoy it.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

#12 - Making Crepes

While I consider myself a pretty decent cook, I've always been afraid to tackle crepes.  I think that is because I'm not particularly good at flipping pancakes, so I figured I'd be worse at crepes.  A while back I decided I needed to get brave and attempt making crepes as one of my 40 new adventures.

I have a friend who bought a crepe maker about a year ago.  While I was tempted to call her and borrow it, I figured that was sort of the cheater's way.  I decided I would try to make crepes the old fashioned way and would borrow the crepe maker only if my efforts met with total failure.

Guess what?  Making crepes is far easier than making pancakes!! I can't believe I lived in fear all these years!  I'm a crepe convert. 

Here's the quick rundown on making them. The batter is very thin.  You lift the pan off the burner when you add the batter, so that the batter doesn't cook too quickly . As you pour the batter, you swirl/tilt the pan around in a circular motion so that the batter spreads out into a very thin, circular (or not so circular) cake.  Becaues it is so thin, the top part will cook/get dry very quickly. Then you flip the crepe. That part was SO much easier than I anticipated. They just don't break/fall apart/smear like pancakes do. Once you flip it you only have to cook it about 15 seconds on that side and you're done.

I insisted that my daughters and mother-in-law also take turns so that they, too, could have a new adventure. Aubrey is a natural! Her crepes were nearly perfectly round.

We made what are supposed to be dessert crepes, but we had them for dinner. They were chocolate crepes filled with strawberries and topped with (real) whipped cream and chocolate syrup. They were SO good.

The only downside was that I doubled the recipe. Bad idea. We had crepes coming out of our ears. But, I guess that's not really a downside. I delivered crepes to 4 different neighbors' homes and to quote one, I "made their whole evening."

There will defintely be more crepes in the future for the Cox family.  I think we might actually implement a ban on pancakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment