What this is all about...

I was born on February 6, 1970. That means on February 6, 2010 I turned 40! I borrowed a great idea from a friend of mine who had recently turned 50. She committed to learning 50 new things and/or having 50 new experiences in her 50th year. I thought that was such a cool idea that I have plagiarized her idea. I'm hoping to have 40 new experiences in the next year. That means I need your help! If you have some skill/talent/hobby that you could share with me, please do!!! I can't do this alone. This blog will keep you all posted on my 40 "adventures." I hope you enjoy it.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

#23 - Kit Carson Carousel

This is another "always wanted to " adventure.  Well, I guess I haven't "always" wanted to do it, but I have wanted to do it for at least 10 years since I've been driving I-70 back and forth between Colorado and Ohio/Pennsylvania. 

On the very eastern plains of Colorado sits a town named Burlington. This part of Colorado really should be annexed by Kansas, because it is just flat plains as far as the eye can see---a whole lot of nothing.  Yet, in the midst of this nothingness along I-70 there is a sign advertising the Kit Carson Carousel.  How intriguing, a carousel out in the middle of nowhere.  I've always loved carousel horses. I even had a decorative one in the house for over 15 years. So, every time I saw the sign for the carousel I really wanted to go check it out. However, when you are in the process of a 1,200 mile drive (either barely into it heading east or almost finally done with it heading west), it seems pointless to waste time taking a ride on a merry-go-round.  So, when I first compiled a list of possibilities for my 40 adventures, I was quick to include the Kit Carson carousel. Since we wre in western Nebraska for the lake camping trip, we were able to swing south and hit Burlington on our way home. 

For those of you who have never heard of Kit Carson, he was a frontiersman/explorer guide/Indian "agent".  Burlington resides in Kit Carson County, hence the name of the carousel.

The carousel has an interesting history. For those of you who would like to read a bit about it, I recommend this website. http://kitcarsoncountycarousel.com/about.html  Here are some quick facts:
  • It was built in 1905 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company (yep, toboggan company) for Elitch Gardens amusement park in Denver.
  • It is a menagerie carousel, meaning it doesn't have just horses but a vareity of animals. It is the only surviving menagerie carousel made by the PTC.
  • It was purchased for $1,200 in 1928 from Elitch Gardens. The townspeople were so outraged at the \"extravagent" purchase that the political careers of the country commisioners who approved the purchase were ruined.
  • The carousel is self-contained in a 12-sided building.
  • After being used for a number of years at county fairs, the carousel building (with the carousel still inside) was used for grain storage. Loose grain was housed in it as if it were a silo.
  • Restoration efforts began in 1979 when the carousel was declared a Historic Landmark.
  • Rides cost $.25!, what a bargain!
  • It is a stationary carousel, meaning the animals don't go up and down. To compensate for this lack of motion, the PTC built it to be one of the fastest carousels, topping out at a whopping 12 mph!
While I'm sure I was far more excited than the other family members, I think we all enjoyed ourselves. After all, I had never ridden on a giraffe before! 


No comments:

Post a Comment